Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Post Graduation

By far the most significant engagement in this semester was focusing on the post-graduation career plans. Unlike good times, wherein one can choose from numerous options, the situation this time around was ugly. With thinning number of prospective employers on the campus, companies deferring or rescinding offers, some of key post-graduation sectors (read: financial services) under severe stress; it caused many to go back to the drawing board. Though recruiting was tough, I believe it was a fantastic opportunity for one to reevaluate their interests, value-add, and what they stand for and want in the long term. An activity seldom looked at during good times, when more than likely going with the flow supersedes, I believe an in-depth self introspection can be critical for making successful leaders and happier individuals. More than any time in the recent past, to be MBA graduates, are discussing the moral and social responsibilities of their actions.  

What does it mean for me?

Through my varied experiences at MIT Sloan and previous work, I was clear about aspects of different career choices I liked and what I didn’t. More importantly, I was further able to iron out my long-term career plan, and able to put together what gives and takes in different short- and medium-term with different careers. For me it came down to being able to leverage my GE experiences, be in position to grow / evaluate business opportunities on a global footprint, and be closer to sectors where I can add value. I’m planning to pursue global Business Development & Strategy role with Celanese, to develop new materials to serve industries from clean-tech to water purification. 

No comments: