Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fall 2007 – Back to the classroom

Yes, then came the day when 60 of us gathered in a classroom, with our name cards out waiting for first lecture in core subjects (Economics, Accounting, Organizational Processes, Communication for Managers, DMD) and an elective (Finance or Marketing). I was particularly excited about accounting, for this one of the areas I was least exposed to in my pre-MIT Sloan experiences. In addition to faculty, it was the acts of sitting down with the core team or an ocean-mate that provided key insights. For me it was a thrill to have two core-team mates who knew accounting in and out. Classroom experience was further enhanced when people brought their particular cultural or industry knowledge to add to the lectures. Some of the interesting recollections are from Communications Lab, wherein we practiced impromptu speaking and enhancing communication skills in a risk-free setting with the core-team. Nothing better than getting up at 7:30am to communicate the vision of my company to my teammates!

One forewarning that came true early on was the importance of time management. There are numerous activities that one can get involved in – student clubs, student committees, or social events. Not to mention, that before one knows, the planning for summer internship is in full swing. The choice is up to an individual to be on the periphery or become actively involved, and can end up making the b-school experience either very exploratory or tread a pre-decided path. This decision is very subjective, and though for me, academics are important, I knew that I am in for an exploration.

As we settled in and learned about different clubs, majority of us ended up signing for a long-list of clubs. I did not buck the trend, but became actively engaged in Finance, Consulting, General Management and VC/PE clubs. Personally, my take is to be active in few and be aware of as many club activities as possible. There seldom is a day when there is not a superstar speaker to share his / her experiences, and more often that not, there are 3-4 conflicting events. I would rather have this problem than otherwise. It was fascinating for me to learn the dynamics and fundamentals of PE industry from partners at leading PE and consulting firms. Or to obtain a first-hand perspective from a partner at a top-tier consulting firm on efforts to eradicate diseases in under-developed countries. Or to sit in a packed classroom and go through a workshop from a top-tier bank to gain better understanding on investment banking profession. Or hear the CEO of a European consumer products company discuss lessons learned from growing the business in the US market.

MIT’s motto of “Mind and hand” was distinctly embraced in different aspects of MIT Sloan’s experience. Though the idea was conceived in early 2007, one fine Saturday morning in the Fall, a handful of us got together at the Muddy’s to craft details of MIT’s inaugural Elevator Pitch Contest (EPC). One of the first events of its type in b-schools, the EPC was positioned as the first step leading to MIT’s flagship 100K competition. I was one of the event’s marketing co-leads, and we were able to attract participation from more than a dozen schools and had a packed auditorium for the event. It was my first glimpse of MIT’s entrepreneurial spirit and truly exceeded my expectations. If you want to learn more about EPC, click here.

We at MIT Sloan love labs, and yes, even have courses incorporating the theme – G-lab (Global), E-lab (Entrepreneurship), S-lab (Sustainability) to name a few. In line with MIT’s motto and a personal desire to learn more about a new industry, four of us participated in Market Lab in the fall semester and worked with a large pharmaceutical company to develop their drug positioning strategy. It was a fantastic experience, wherein not only did we enhance each other’s learning (it was also a boon to have teammates with prior experiences in pharmaceutical industry and clinical psychology), but also were able to apply classroom concepts in real life. At the end of the semester we gave our client solid, actionable recommendations, which they planned to pursue starting January 2008. To keep the fun going, one of the teammates later landed a summer internship with the same company and amongst other things, will be responsible for executing on the strategy we developed. What a joy to take an idea to the market and make a concrete business impact!

Another couple of highlights of fall semester were, treks and c-functions (consumption). I was somewhat selective on treks and used this as an opportunity to gain further exposure of an industry or geography of interest. As one members of VC and PE trek to London, I was amazed by the flurry of activities and optimism in the European and Asian markets. While subprime crisis in the US were starting to hit the newspapers, counterparts across the Atlantic were relatively more aggressive and optimistic and seemed to embrace the industry changes, particularly in the energy sector. The strength of MIT Sloan’s brand was apparent more than ever before. It provided unforgettable opportunities to sit down with c-level executives of leading firms to discuss their investing philosophy, business outlook, or even why the deal turned sour! I had realized this before during my days at GE, but this trip convinced me further of globalization and left me longing to gain first-hand experience of European and Asian markets. I believe the power is shifting east, rapidly, and future business leaders will need to embrace, not avoid, these forces.

What is the best way to break away from a hectic school schedule and get a break in the middle of the week? MIT Sloan’s c-functions! A regular feature every Thursday evening, these events provide an excellent opportunity to students and their spouses (MIT Sloan lingo: SO’s) to get a glimpse of ethnic culture from a country, taste of local foods and drinks, catch-up, and to just kick back and relax. The event, entirely planned and executed by students, brings together the MIT Sloan community and is one of the key aspects of the school culture. The exposure to a virtual train ride in Tokyo, food from different EU countries, or drinks from Brazil, leaves one asking, “Could we have these events more frequently?”!

You might be wondering, the last time I checked, one of the key reasons people go to b-school to enhance career opportunities. How does one prepare for summer internships or full-time opportunities? Well, in part, it comes naturally, but the Career Development Office does a fantastic job in getting students ready for this challenges. Among numerous offerings, a few are, informal career panels, industry overviews, weekly Career core, and resume / interview preparations. Before we knew, only after a month into the program, we are polishing our resume and meeting prospective employers to learn more about each other. One might argue how can a month’s time make one more eligible for a job in a new industry or function? I personally believe it is solid course work, exposure to different aspects of the business, and self-confidence that prepares one well for the future career opportunities. Personally, I was torn between pursuing my career in consulting or banking, with more inclination towards former when I started my program. After talking to people from different industries and companies, MIT Sloan alums and current students, I realized that I might be somewhat biased and embraced reality better. I realized I could better leverage my past experiences, learn a whole lot, and also work towards my long-term goals by pursuing a career in banking. Hence, during the course of the semester, I re-balanced my priorities; and. was in active discussions with a handful of banks. This is important and I know a number of my friends who knew what they wanted from day one and devoted their energies towards attaining that. At the same time, there is a good majority who re-answer their career question after starting the school. This is one of the key aspects – the MIT Sloan experience provides a healthy exposure to wide array of career options and a very open and supportive community to get questions answered. Personally, my take is, if one has not pinned down to the one career option, you initially should have an open view towards several options and then narrow them down as semester progresses. Agreed, a lot of work and a huge personal commitment, but its better to be informed about you turned down!

And just like that, before I knew, first semester was behind me. It is important to realize full-time MBA can be a huge drain on personal life. I am no exception. As my wife was settling down with her new job and I was getting busy with the school, we consciously kept an evening or a weekend for us. It provided us a break from daily schedules and also a reason to explore Boston and the New England area further. We identified our favorite local restaurants (and the list is growing), enjoyed theatrical offerings, run along the Charles, or go on a weekend getaway. It is mentioned often, and I could not agree more - setting right expectations and maintaining healthy balance with personal life is crucial. I am not perfect, but hopefully also not skewed too much to one side!

No comments: